Prepare your home and yard for cooler temperatures.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Inspect roof for loose, damaged or missing roof coverings, damaged flashings, & condition of vents.
- Have your chimney inspected & cleaned by a professional (if you have one).
- Check window wells and storm drains.
- Seal driveway and walkway cracks.
- Check fencing and gates.
- Check and trim trees.
- Set clocks back
- Have heating system professionally inspected / serviced.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- In attic – check ventilation openings for nests, blockage, & fill in insulation gaps.
- Check condition of water heater & all shut off valves.
- If the plumbing is on a private well, order an annual Water Quality Inspection from Sherlock Home Inspections
- Check all Arc Fault Circuit interrupters (AFCI) and Ground Fault interrupters (GFI).
- Make sure that all electrical holiday decorations have tight connections.
- Dust blinds and vacuum curtains throughout your house.
- Clean kitchen and bathroom cabinets and throw away outdated food, medicine and cosmetics.